Rules For The Revolution: The Podcast

Answering your questions about podcasting, new media and the law.

Episode 018: Northern Rules for the Revolution

Welcome to Rules for the Revolution. Click on this link to listen to Episode 018 or subscribe and listen through iTunes

SHOW NOTES

Host: Colette Vogele
Guests: Andy Kaplan-Myrth and Kathleen Simmons, Co-Authors of The Podcasting Legal Guide for Canada, from University of Ottawa, Law and Technology Program

Podcasting Legal Guide for Canada

Topics: Creative Commons Canada recently released The Podcasting Legal Guide for Canada: Northern Rules for the Revolution. Colette discusses the origins of the guide, the important differences it highlights from US law, jurisdiction questions, and best practices for Canadian podcasters, with the co-authors of the new Guide.

Links for this Episode

• PLG for Canada
  • Creative Commons Canada
  • Creative Commons
  • As always, you can reference the The Podcasting Legal Guide: Rules for the Revolution for more information on legal questions related to podcasting in the U.S. For Canadian listeners, please check out the Canadian Podcasting Legal Guide.

Credits: Benjamin A. Costa, Legal and Production Intern. Music for this episode is licensed from Magnatune. (Artist: Burnshee Thornside; Album: The Art Of Not Blending In; Song: Can I Be A Star.) Special thanks to Creative Commons and Alex Roberts for the logo design, and to Bill Streeter for getting this site designed and rolling for us.

Feedback: We would very much like to hear from you and get your feedback on this new podcast series. Things you like, don’t like, or questions you have that you’d like answered in a future episode are welcome. Please send us your feedback and questions by emailing us at colette [at] rulesfortherevolution [dot] com or by calling our listener comment line at 206-948-1455. Please note our new number!!

Licensing:

Creative Commons License

The original content of this podcast is licensed under a
    Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Please attribute legal copies of this work to “Colette Vogele, Rules for the Revolution: The Podcast”. For information on commercial use, please contact colette [at] vogelelaw [dot] com.

8 comments

8 Comments so far

1. Kathleen Simmons August 2nd, 2007 10:45 am

Just a quick correction: I’m articling at the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, not the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation!

2. Colette Vogele August 2nd, 2007 6:50 pm

Woops! Thanks for the clarification Kathleen. Sorry about that mix up.

3. Paul Jacobson August 9th, 2007 5:02 am

Hi Colette

Thanks for this episode. It was really interesting to hear the differences between Canadian and US law on the one hand and also the aspects of Canadian law which are similar or different to South African law.

4. Wisdom Moon August 19th, 2007 4:53 pm

Hi, Colette.

Just wanted to thank you for your podcast. I found it a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying listening to it. It’s great to have helpful information from a podcaster who practices law.

By the way, I had one question. If businesses want to pay me to advertise on my podcast, how do I go about it as far as the IRS and taxes go? Do I need to obtain a business license for my podcast? Or is there a simpler way to do it without having to get a business license?

If you can give me some advice, I would really appreciate it. I think it’s something that would help other podcasters as well.

Thanks!

Wisdom Moon
      All About Worship Podcast

5. Jay MacKay September 12th, 2007 2:29 pm

Hi Colette,

I don’t know if it’s just me, but after hearing you on TWiM last week, I decided to subscribe to your podcast through iTunes. Well, for whatever reason, none of the 18 episodes are downloading. I click the handy “Get all episodes” button, and it just cycles through each episode in 10 seconds, and none download, where as all other podcasts download fine. It’d like to NOT have to download each episode individually, but I will if I have to.

Am I the only one with this problem, or is it more of a wide spread problem?

-Jay MacKay
      QuadCast

6. Colette Vogele September 13th, 2007 4:11 pm

Thanks for the note Jay. We’ve checked out our feed and indeed there was a change to the iTunes information that needed to be updated. If you delete your current feed and re-subscribe anew, you should be able to “get all episodes” at one time.

7. Jay MacKay September 14th, 2007 2:27 am

Thanks Colette. I’m kind of glad there was a problem, and not just me, lol. Thanks for the prompt response, I’m downloading now.

-Jay MacKay
      QuadCast

8. [...] I’ve received comments and a few emails from listeners alerting me of the problem with iTunes and I just wanted to say that I *really* appreciate the heads up from you all. Thanks for your patience while we sort it out! [...]